Tooth decay can affect any patient at any age. Tooth decay attacks the enamel of your tooth and weakens it over time if not properly treated. At Chapel Hill Family & Cosmetic dentistry, we value your oral health and work with you to help treat your dental issues. Chapel Hill dentist Dr. James Furgurson, DDS is committed to helping patients achieve a healthy, bright smile. If you are experiencing signs of tooth decay or have not been in for one of your preventive care visits, visit our Chapel Hill, NC dental office. Patients can schedule an appointment online or call 919.213.9767
You may not notice you have tooth decay unless you visit the dentist.Tooth decay can show symptoms to some patients. Symptoms may include:
- Persistent bad breath
- Swollen and/or red gums
- Spots on the decayed tooth
After a thorough examination of your mouth, teeth, and gums, Dr. Furgurson will determine the cause of your tooth decay and provide a solution to help restore the health of your smile. Your tooth decay can be caused by a number of different factors like:
- Medical illness
- Dry Mouth
- Not properly brushing and flossing your teeth
- Teeth grinding
- Acidic foods and drinks
Restorative dentist Dr. Furgurson will examine your teeth and identify the severity of your tooth decay. Depending on the degree of your tooth decay, Dr. Furgurson will suggest the right treatment for you. Your treatment may include:
- A dental crown is used to replace the part of the tooth that has been decayed.
- A root canal helps remove the damaged or infected part of the tooth (pulp).
- A tooth extraction may be needed if the damaged tooth is beyond restoration. Once your tooth is removed, Dr. Furgurson may suggest the use of a dental bridge, dental implant, or full or partial dentures as a tooth replacement option.
- A dental filling is used to fill in the tooth once the decay is removed. Dental fillings are a common procedure and Dentistry
Working closely with an experienced dentist like Dr. Furgurson, as well as practicing healthy oral hygiene habits, patients can maintain the health of their teeth. In our Chapel Hill dental office, we offer a range of cosmetic, general, and restorative dentistry services for your convenience.